Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Shrimp Tacos with Apple Slaw

Up until recently I never ate shrimp. It was chewy and smelled fishy and cold and slimy - I hated everything about it. The first time I tried it was at a Benihana and I spit it out and had a melt down (I won't even say how old I was because it's embarrassing). 

But then I found out you can have good shrimp, not just pre-frozen shrimp cocktail. 

This year I've had shrimp four times, three times I cooked it myself. That might not seem like a lot, but when your motto was "I don't eat things from the sea" for 27 years, it's a pretty big deal. 


I love everything about this shrimp taco recipe - it's easy, it's super flavorful, and all the flavors balance out so perfectly. 



Ingredients for Shrimp:
  • 1/2 lb shrimp (about 12)
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp mexican seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • Shake of red pepper flakes
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper (to taste)
Ingredients for Apple Slaw:
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 cup apple, sliced thin like match sticks
  • 1/2 carrot, shaved with veggie peeler
  • 3 tbsp mayo
  • 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for Taco:
  • Whole wheat tortilla shells
  • Avocado

Instructions:

For apple slaw, combine all ingredients in a bowl and put in the fridge to chill until ready to serve (or while cooking shrimp).

Combine oil and seasonings in a large bowl. Add shrimp and coat to toss. Cook shrimp in a pan on stove top 3-4 minutes on each side.

Assemble tacos with avocado slices, shrimp and slaw. Serve with rice or side of choice (I used couscous). 

This will make 4 tacos with 3 shrimp each. Feel free to double the recipe to make more shrimp.


1 comment: