Sunday, February 2, 2014

Natural Hair Care

My wonderful cousin Katie posted this link on her Facebook about cleaning your hair the natural way - with baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil. She and my sister nominated me to give it a try, since I'll try almost anything once. (Except anything with mayo. Never mayo.)

Anyway, I have been using this method for two weeks now and I am OBSESSED. My hair is amazing, and not loaded up with the toxins and chemicals that fill our shampoos and conditioners, and it's so easy. Here's what to do:

For shampooing: Wet your hair thoroughly in the shower, and then put 1/3 - 1/2 cup of baking soda in it. I usually put it in a measuring cup, then pour some into my hand and massage into my scalp. (The first time I just poured it all over my head and that was a mess). Rub it all in and then let it sit for a minute. Rinse thoroughly.

For conditioning: Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water. I let the ends sit in it the cup for a minute or two, and then pour it over my whole head. I let that sit for a bit and then rinse thoroughly. 

Your hair will NOT feel soft and silky after using the apple cider vinegar mix, like it does after using conditioner, but when it dries it is great. 

For deep conditioning: Once a week I've been using coconut oil on the ends of my hair for a great deep conditioning, especially because my hair is naturally VERY dry. I just rub organic coconut oil (purchased at Trader Joe's) on the bottom half of my hair, and let it sit for a few hours (you can also do this overnight if you like). 

You do need shampoo to get the coconut oil out of your hair, so I use an organic shampoo on the bottoms when I do this and just use baking soda at the roots. 

My hair feels amazing, and I feel amazing knowing I'm not consuming extra toxins. And here's the photographic evidence:


And if you're interested, this blog also has the science behind what makes this so great. Test it out and let me know what you think! 

2 comments:

  1. The apple cider vinegar also helps with dandruff! I used go use it instead of shampoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been helping with that! I love it!

      Delete