Thursday, March 5, 2015

Fiesta Fiesta: Enchilada Skillet

I really can't wait for the day I start a post with "It's so warm! How much do you love this sunshine?!" or "Ready for another heat wave?". I'll even settle for "Look I can see the sidewalk!" at this point.

One day we'll have a lovely meal with fresh summer produce. One day.... But, alas, here we are on March 5 with another couple inches of snow and it's still coming down. So, I'm still cooking up meals that are as warm and comforting as they are healthy.




We eat a lot of enchiladas, but I am trying to cut back on wheat, so I made this "deconstructed" enchilada skilled. It was so yummy and took just one pan. Who doesn't love that?




I served it with this easy yellow rice. This has become one of my favorite recipes because the rice is so flavorful. I add a teaspoon of Mexican seasoning to the rice when making meals with a latin flair, and use brown rice instead of jasmine.




Enchilada Skillet

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp oil (avocado, sunflower or sesame)
  • Teaspoon of paprika and onion powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Three boneless skinless chicken breast (be sure to splurge on organic!)
  • 1 cup cooked black beans 
  • 1.5 cup of enchilada sauce (I use this recipe)
  • 1 cup of diced boxed tomatoes (Pomi is my favorite brand)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Optional toppings: sour cream/greek yogurt, avocado/guacamole, onions, hot sauce

Instructions:

Put oil in a skillet and turn on medium heat.

Dice chicken into cubes, season with paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Put in pan and cook through. Once cooked, take chicken out, pour any extra oil out of the pan. 

In the same pan, pour in enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes. Mix to combine and bring to simmer. Add chicken and black beans and heat through, about 2 minutes.

Top with cheese and cover until cheese melts (about 1-2 minutes). 

Serve over rice with any additional sides/toppings and tortilla chips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment