Monday, February 2, 2015

Mediterranean Pizza

Today's theme for the February blog challenge is vegetables - which is perfect because I'm sharing this amazing homemade mediterranean pizza recipe.

Yummmmm...


Ingredients:
  • Whole wheat pizza dough 
  • Tomato sauce
  • Pesto
  • Roasted tomatoes
  • Roasted eggplant
  • Caramelized onions (I used half a white onion)
  • Garlic
  • Oregano
  • Goat cheese
  • Balsamic glaze (directions below)
  • Greens (I used baby romaine but you could use arugula)
Balsamic Glaze: Mix 1 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup brown sugar in small sauce pan. Bring to boil, then reduce to a low simmer for about 15-20 minutes until it reduces in half and becomes thick. It should coat the back of a spoon like a thick syrup when done.

Pizza: 
  1. If roasting your own tomatoes, use this recipe from Smitten Kitchen - it's too good. When tomatoes are done, set aside. If using tomatoes in a jar, just skip this step.
  2. Peel eggplant (optional) and slice eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds. Coat with oil, ground pepper, oregano and a pinch of salt. Roast at 350 degrees in oven for about 30 minutes until eggplant starts to brown around the edges.
  3. Slice onions and cook over low heat until golden.
  4. Roll out pizza dough according to it's instructions (I bake mine a few minutes before topping).
  5. Put tomato sauce on top of dough - I like it less saucey, so I use about 4 tablespoons. Spread a few teaspoons of pesto throughout the pizza. Top with roasted tomatoes, eggplant, onions, garlic and oregano scattered around pie. 
  6. Add goat cheese to taste (I also put mozzarella on Sean's side because we had a little left over, I used almost no cheese on my side because I had a sinus infection). 
  7. Drizzle balsamic glaze across pizza. 
  8. Bake as instructed, about 15 minutes until crust is crispy.
Top with chopped greens, and more balsamic glaze if desired. I also added a little hot sauce.



This is an easy enough recipe for kids to help with, and delicious enough for the whole family to love! What's better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment