Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Writers Block & Recipes

I've had serious writers block this week. It's cold, it's rainy, Sean's busy with school work, and I feel like nothing exciting has gone on. Oh the dolldrums of January. However, I have been doing a bunch of cooking lately, so I thought I'd share a recipe that is so easy, so yummy, so cozy on a cold rainy day, and not at all healthy for you (so obviously the best kind of recipe). It's Crockpot Enchiladas. And they're awesome.

I made this on Sunday when my cousin and her friend came to visit. They're driving cross country and Chicago was their first stop, so I wanted to give them a great meal. I made these enchiladas (cheese, because they're vegetarian) and it was a huge hit.

Crockpot Cheese* Enchiladas 

8-12 Flour Tortillas
2-3 cups Red Enchilada Sauce
2 cups Shredded Cheddar
Salsa (to taste)

  • Lightly coat the crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Pour 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the crockpot. 
  • With fork, poke a few holes in each tortilla (this prevents it from fluffing up too much).
  • Place flour tortilla over sauce. 
  • Place cheese over tortillas.
  • Pour sauce over cheese.
  • Repeat layering sauce, cheese, and tortillas until you are out of tortillas.
  • On top of last tortilla, pour salsa on top (to taste) and cover with cheese.
  • Cook in crockpot 2.5 hours on high or 4 hours on low, until the sides begin to pull away from the crockpot and become brown.
This serves 8, so you can cut it in half for a smaller portion, or it reheats fabulously, so it's good for leftovers. I served it with rice, sauteed peppers and onions, fresh guac and chips. 

*You can add meat to this recipe, but the meat needs to be cooked prior to being added to the crockpot, or it will let out too many juices and be a soggy mess.

We scarfed it all down, so unfortunately I don't have a picture of the food, but I do have a great picture from after dinner of my cousin Margaret, my god son Frankie, me and Sean. After all, a meal is only as good as the company it is shared with. And I have to say, this one was extra good.


No comments:

Post a Comment