Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blog Slacker, Cooking Queen

I've been a blog slacker! I woke up this morning and realized it was Thursday already (how did that happen?) and I hadn't written all week! Work has been a crazy, and I spent the weekend doing a ton of cooking and prepping of food, which was so lovely. 

I've noticed that my love for cooking is really growing. Though I'm no super chef (yet), I really feel at ease in the kitchen, and it puts me in a fantastic mood. I spent Sunday chopping veggies, making home made tortillas, and trying new recipes. Some were great (the popovers, below) and some not so much (spaghetti squash - though many friends said I got a bad recipe and suggested some others). Also, doing a lot of prep on the weekends makes the weeknight dinners easy (for the most part) and makes it easier to stay on track with healthy eating. 

I'm still working off the concept of the real food pledge (www.100daysofrealfood.com). It's been really great and eye-opening to think about what's REALLY in our food. I won't preach, but when you start reading about it, it's frightening. 

While I have been eating WAY more fruits & veggies than I ever have in my life (yay me!) we're still in what I'm calling a transition phase. There's still some not totally great for you food in the house (white flour, sugary flavored yogurts, etc.). I don't like wasting food and think it would be shameful to throw it out, so I'll be replacing items with healthier options as we use them. 

So since I need to use up our flour, I made popovers. They were AWESOME!


Here's the recipe for this delicious treat - you can swap out white flour (which I used) for whole wheat flour. Just make sure the milk and eggs are at room temperature when you start, or they won't pop right.

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup organic fat free milk at room temperature
  • 2 tbsp. of butter, melted
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
Directions:
  • Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. 
  • Grease muffin tin VERY liberally. Do NOT use cupcake/muffin liners.
  • Wisk together the eggs, milk and butter.
  • Wisk the flour and salt into the egg mixture until it's well blended.
  • Pour batter into muffin tin until they are about three quarters full. 
  • Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
  • Turn oven temperature down to 350 degrees and bake another 15 minutes.
  • Take popovers out of the oven. Serve warm with butter and jam.
In this 30 minutes of baking it is imperative that you DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR! It's really hard to not know what's going on in there, but if you open the door, they'll collapse on themselves and you'll have little dough hockey pucks.

Serve these with some fresh fruit, hot coffee and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment