Thursday, October 23, 2014

Lentil Chili: Healthy Comfort Food at Its Finest

Well, we are back from our amazing whirl wind wedding week and honeymoon! It really was the trip of a lifetime. I was so ready to come home and really, FINALLY, get settled into our new home. Instead, we came home with a head cold (me) and food poisoning (Sean). So needless to say, we're pretty much still living like hobos with wedding bags unpacked and boxes waiting to be organized.


Yesterday I was finally feeling better, and wanted some warm comfort food to go with the blustery fall weather. But I wanted something healthy too, because I want to make sure I kick this cold for good.


Enter lentil chili.

I love you lentil chili.


This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free, and all warm comfort. You can use it to make nachos, quesadillas, pour it over roasted sweet potatoes or just eat it right out of the pot (guilty).

Just a fair warning, this recipe makes a HUGE batch - about 5 quarts - and it freezes beautifully, but feel free to cut it in half if you want to.

Lentil Chili
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 jalapeƱo, diced, seeds removed (use a whole if you dare!)
  • 1.5 bell peppers, diced (I used 1 yellow and half red)
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
  • 2.5 cups vegetable broth
  • 30 oz. diced tomatoes
  • 30 oz. tomato sauce
  • 16 oz. of lentils (I used brown)
  • 2-3 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin (I used less)
Step one: Throw everything in the pot

Peppers, onions, beans, carrots

Sauce, tomatoes, lentils

Toss in the broth and it's a party!

Step two: Cook on low simmer for about 3 hours. Stir occasionally.

Step three: Eat delicious chili. Be happy.

This is all of the leftovers.
It's a TON of chili, but I'm giving some batches away and freezing the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment